Sunday, January 13, 2013

Arming America Against Americans. Sr. Chats

There are many planned activities here at my old folk's home, oh, I mean retirement community. I am the youngest person here, my MS brought me. The activity I enjoy the most is chatting with people 30-40 years older than me. This has always been fun for me, since I was a child. I crave what they think. 

Lately the discussions have been about gun control. And while the NRA would want you to believe that "veterans" are all for the right to bear arms, truth is that does not seem to be the case around here. In fact, the idea of more armed citizens scares and saddens them.
The fact that they have seen war up close affects their feelings about all this. The fact that some are African American, Jewish, homosexual (you know, the ones that still are not reeling in the "freedom for all" love from their fellow citizens, the ones who still see graffiti of hate written for them, yes, they know there are plenty of fools still wondering around. 

What bothers me is the basis of the idea that arming more of us will stop the mass shootings, stop the drive-bys, stop all the need to kill others with no regard for human life. (Life: the most precious gift we will ever know, so fragile, with a very short shelf life)

But last night the conversation went from how to contact our VP, Biden, with ideas (one fella, 94, dying of cancer, is determined to let Biden know his idea---YEA! And do you think we could find a FREE way for these folks to contact anyone in the white house? They were frustrated that calling information cost $1.50---that is a lot around here! If they all had computers, sure, but that generation does not feel the need for an expensive computer. Personally, I think it just intimidates them. There is computer they could use in our social room here, but, I think of others their age, living alone in low income housing, etc., way to difficult to use a computer.) to the holocaust and WWII.

Now THIS discussion was something I wanted to get into. What was it like in USA back then? How soon did we know what was going on? I had many questions. It turned to their suggesting I read ___book about history. I had to explain I KNEW the history from books, I wanted to hear from THEM what THEIR experience was like. It surprised me how that concept surprised THEM! In fact, I don't think they ever understood that I was not just some dumb kid who didn't know the "facts."

As I write this, I wonder if to them history books are to be believed without question, much like that generation did not question doctors?

Anyway, it turned into a hoot as one Jewish couple began arguing with each other over dates. Then one woman described how her entire town was killed and tossed into a shallow grave. A visiting family member of a resident here became so upset, so aghast, as though she had never heard of such a horrible thing. SERIOUSLY? I was aghast at her response. 

Yes, I love such gatherings here, I always learn new things about human nature. "Oh, that is so awful!"  I am afraid that she had never heard about the holocaust. Fascinating.

2 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

There are many planned activities here at my old folk's home, oh, I mean retirement community. I am the youngest person here, my MS brought me. The activity I enjoy the most is chatting with people 30-40 years older than me. This has always been fun for me, since I was a child. I crave what they think. 

Lately the discussions have been about gun control. And while the NRA would want you to believe that "veterans" are all for the right to bear arms, truth is that does not seem to be the case around here. In fact, the idea of more armed citizens scares and saddens them.
The fact that they have seen war up close affects their feelings about all this. The fact that some are African American, Jewish, homosexual (you know, the ones that still are not reeling in the "freedom for all" love from their fellow citizens, the ones who still see graffiti of hate written for them, yes, they know there are plenty of fools still wondering around. 

What bothers me is the basis of the idea that arming more of us will stop the mass shootings, stop the drive-bys, stop all the need to kill others with no regard for human life. (Life: the most precious gift we will ever know, so fragile, with a very short shelf life)

But last night the conversation went from how to contact our VP, Biden, with ideas (one fella, 94, dying of cancer, is determined to let Biden know his idea---YEA! And do you think we could find a FREE way for these folks to contact anyone in the white house? They were frustrated that calling information cost $1.50---that is a lot around here! If they all had computers, sure, but that generation does not feel the need for an expensive computer. Personally, I think it just intimidates them. There is computer they could use in our social room here, but, I think of others their age, living alone in low income housing, etc., way to difficult to use a computer.) to the holocaust and WWII.

Now THIS discussion was something I wanted to get into. What was it like in USA back then? How soon did we know what was going on? I had many questions. It turned to their suggesting I read ___book about history. I had to explain I KNEW the history from books, I wanted to hear from THEM what THEIR experience was like. It surprised me how that concept surprised THEM! In fact, I don't think they ever understood that I was not just some dumb kid who didn't know the "facts."

As I write this, I wonder if to them history books are to be believed without question, much like that generation did not question doctors?

Anyway, it turned into a hoot as one Jewish couple began arguing with each other over dates. Then one woman described how her entire town was killed and tossed into a shallow grave. A visiting family member of a resident here became so upset, so aghast, as though she had never heard of such a horrible thing. SERIOUSLY? I was aghast at her response. 

Yes, I love such gatherings here, I always learn new things about human nature. "Oh, that is so awful!"  I am afraid that she had never heard about the holocaust. Fascinating.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Diane J Standiford said...

There are many planned activities here at my old folk's home, oh, I mean retirement community. I am the youngest person here, my MS brought me. The activity I enjoy the most is chatting with people 30-40 years older than me. This has always been fun for me, since I was a child. I crave what they think. 

Lately the discussions have been about gun control. And while the NRA would want you to believe that "veterans" are all for the right to bear arms, truth is that does not seem to be the case around here. In fact, the idea of more armed citizens scares and saddens them.
The fact that they have seen war up close affects their feelings about all this. The fact that some are African American, Jewish, homosexual (you know, the ones that still are not reeling in the "freedom for all" love from their fellow citizens, the ones who still see graffiti of hate written for them, yes, they know there are plenty of fools still wondering around. 

What bothers me is the basis of the idea that arming more of us will stop the mass shootings, stop the drive-bys, stop all the need to kill others with no regard for human life. (Life: the most precious gift we will ever know, so fragile, with a very short shelf life)

But last night the conversation went from how to contact our VP, Biden, with ideas (one fella, 94, dying of cancer, is determined to let Biden know his idea---YEA! And do you think we could find a FREE way for these folks to contact anyone in the white house? They were frustrated that calling information cost $1.50---that is a lot around here! If they all had computers, sure, but that generation does not feel the need for an expensive computer. Personally, I think it just intimidates them. There is computer they could use in our social room here, but, I think of others their age, living alone in low income housing, etc., way to difficult to use a computer.) to the holocaust and WWII.

Now THIS discussion was something I wanted to get into. What was it like in USA back then? How soon did we know what was going on? I had many questions. It turned to their suggesting I read ___book about history. I had to explain I KNEW the history from books, I wanted to hear from THEM what THEIR experience was like. It surprised me how that concept surprised THEM! In fact, I don't think they ever understood that I was not just some dumb kid who didn't know the "facts."

As I write this, I wonder if to them history books are to be believed without question, much like that generation did not question doctors?

Anyway, it turned into a hoot as one Jewish couple began arguing with each other over dates. Then one woman described how her entire town was killed and tossed into a shallow grave. A visiting family member of a resident here became so upset, so aghast, as though she had never heard of such a horrible thing. SERIOUSLY? I was aghast at her response. 

Yes, I love such gatherings here, I always learn new things about human nature. "Oh, that is so awful!"  I am afraid that she had never heard about the holocaust. Fascinating.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
 
Outpost