Saturday, March 16, 2013

Caregiver Agency Abandons Those In Need

Yes, the agency I hired, Swedish, sent out a German woman. She was excellent. She taught me some German. We laughed so hard. I had her for at least a year. We became actual friends. Her husband and two boys visited. But she was troubled. She worked all night at another home then came for 4 hours to me. She was unhappy with her life. I listened, and listened...I tried to coach her, advise her, and listen. One day I got a letter in mail: Swedish was stopping their home care division effective immediately.

I was in a panic. What would I do tomorrow? My friend called me, she could no longer help. I grabbed a "Choice" booklet that had been mailed to me a year ago. So many agencies to choose from. If I didn't start now, they would fill up fast---and that is exactly what happened. The place I live now had been using Swedish, all their clients were in a panic and left without any caregivers. That was just ONE place I knew about, think of all the other people, suddenly deserted. It was horrible.

How could such a well respected hospital do such a thing? They claimed money ran out. Oh, please, they couldn't give people a weeks notice? I can't tell you how horrible those days were. We just picked a company with a nice ad. But all the agencies were being swamped with calls. They didn't have enough employees to handle us all.

My German friend felt so bad for me that she stayed until I found someone new...I think...I really can't recall the details. But the agency I was stuck with (you had to sign a lease of 6 months), was awful.

It seemed like whenever things started going smoothly, fate threw me a curve. All the while my partner's health was deteriorating. She had to use an electric wheel chair, cut her work hours...a harsh time.

2 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Yes, the agency I hired, Swedish, sent out a German woman. She was excellent. She taught me some German. We laughed so hard. I had her for at least a year. We became actual friends. Her husband and two boys visited. But she was troubled. She worked all night at another home then came for 4 hours to me. She was unhappy with her life. I listened, and listened...I tried to coach her, advise her, and listen. One day I got a letter in mail: Swedish was stopping their home care division effective immediately.

I was in a panic. What would I do tomorrow? My friend called me, she could no longer help. I grabbed a "Choice" booklet that had been mailed to me a year ago. So many agencies to choose from. If I didn't start now, they would fill up fast---and that is exactly what happened. The place I live now had been using Swedish, all their clients were in a panic and left without any caregivers. That was just ONE place I knew about, think of all the other people, suddenly deserted. It was horrible.

How could such a well respected hospital do such a thing? They claimed money ran out. Oh, please, they couldn't give people a weeks notice? I can't tell you how horrible those days were. We just picked a company with a nice ad. But all the agencies were being swamped with calls. They didn't have enough employees to handle us all.

My German friend felt so bad for me that she stayed until I found someone new...I think...I really can't recall the details. But the agency I was stuck with (you had to sign a lease of 6 months), was awful.

It seemed like whenever things started going smoothly, fate threw me a curve. All the while my partner's health was deteriorating. She had to use an electric wheel chair, cut her work hours...a harsh time.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Ami said...

Yes, the agency I hired, Swedish, sent out a German woman. She was excellent. She taught me some German. We laughed so hard. I had her for at least a year. We became actual friends. Her husband and two boys visited. But she was troubled. She worked all night at another home then came for 4 hours to me. She was unhappy with her life. I listened, and listened...I tried to coach her, advise her, and listen. One day I got a letter in mail: Swedish was stopping their home care division effective immediately.

I was in a panic. What would I do tomorrow? My friend called me, she could no longer help. I grabbed a "Choice" booklet that had been mailed to me a year ago. So many agencies to choose from. If I didn't start now, they would fill up fast---and that is exactly what happened. The place I live now had been using Swedish, all their clients were in a panic and left without any caregivers. That was just ONE place I knew about, think of all the other people, suddenly deserted. It was horrible.

How could such a well respected hospital do such a thing? They claimed money ran out. Oh, please, they couldn't give people a weeks notice? I can't tell you how horrible those days were. We just picked a company with a nice ad. But all the agencies were being swamped with calls. They didn't have enough employees to handle us all.

My German friend felt so bad for me that she stayed until I found someone new...I think...I really can't recall the details. But the agency I was stuck with (you had to sign a lease of 6 months), was awful.

It seemed like whenever things started going smoothly, fate threw me a curve. All the while my partner's health was deteriorating. She had to use an electric wheel chair, cut her work hours...a harsh time.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
 
Outpost