Friday, January 17, 2014

SEARCH FOR NEXT ASSISTED LIVING HOME

Okay, I have begun the exhausting and strange process of searching for a new assisted living home.

Where I live now, with my partner, was a rush move of sorts. Although I had been living just fine, working, with MS for 15 years, I wanted to plan for the "just in case." I had visited almost all of the assisted living homes in my city of Seattle and the surrounding area where my in-laws (out laws? will they become true in-laws soon?) spent a few years in such facilities until their deaths. The place I now reside at was at the top of my list---it had a family feel to it and the price was right.

In one of the worst snow storms Seattle had ever seen, I found myself in a local hospital's ICU (intensive care unit) for FIVE days/nights, my heart stopped and restarted TWICE by the staff there, tests every day and they never found out what was wrong with me. (If you want to read more I posted about it earlier in this blog...my symptoms were fast heart beat, vomiting. I think I just got dehydrated.) After I was released home, I was so weak from my MS, partner also was becoming very ill, we were moved in here thanks to the then Mgr, and now it is FIVE years later. This place has changed tremendously in the last 6 months. It is time to go.

First I sent my partner to check out a joint on my radar with a couple of our friends. It got rave reviews. I went the other day.

The receptionist did not know what direction the building faced. The person sent to show apts. to me didn't know either, nor did she know what direction ANY of the apts. faced that she showed me! That ignorance would have sent me back out the door, except a staff member I ran into told me "heads up, she is new." That staff member and I accidentally bumped into each other. We talked for close to an hour before I met with the lost-in-space (she DID actually get lost in the building TWICE!) lady. FATE.

If you follow my blog, then you know I am a big believer in fate. I can FEEL it now. Something horrible had just happened and I said, "This has happened for a reason. I just can't see it yet." I see it now. This is where we will move to. It is fated and we are thrilled.

A new adventure awaits.

My advice about finding the right assisted living home? Visit as many as you can. Don't call ahead, surprise them. (Calling to get info is OK, but jump in when you want to visit.)

Make a list of your needs and wants. Figure out how much you can afford. Make a deal, don't settle for their first quote. At end of month the marketing staff want their commissions, so go closer to months end. Don't hesitate to ask for grab bars where there are none, a wood floor, new carpet---yes, much like buying a new car.

Most importantly: GET IT IN WRITING

3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Okay, I have begun the exhausting and strange process of searching for a new assisted living home.

Where I live now, with my partner, was a rush move of sorts. Although I had been living just fine, working, with MS for 15 years, I wanted to plan for the "just in case." I had visited almost all of the assisted living homes in my city of Seattle and the surrounding area where my in-laws (out laws? will they become true in-laws soon?) spent a few years in such facilities until their deaths. The place I now reside at was at the top of my list---it had a family feel to it and the price was right.

In one of the worst snow storms Seattle had ever seen, I found myself in a local hospital's ICU (intensive care unit) for FIVE days/nights, my heart stopped and restarted TWICE by the staff there, tests every day and they never found out what was wrong with me. (If you want to read more I posted about it earlier in this blog...my symptoms were fast heart beat, vomiting. I think I just got dehydrated.) After I was released home, I was so weak from my MS, partner also was becoming very ill, we were moved in here thanks to the then Mgr, and now it is FIVE years later. This place has changed tremendously in the last 6 months. It is time to go.

First I sent my partner to check out a joint on my radar with a couple of our friends. It got rave reviews. I went the other day.

The receptionist did not know what direction the building faced. The person sent to show apts. to me didn't know either, nor did she know what direction ANY of the apts. faced that she showed me! That ignorance would have sent me back out the door, except a staff member I ran into told me "heads up, she is new." That staff member and I accidentally bumped into each other. We talked for close to an hour before I met with the lost-in-space (she DID actually get lost in the building TWICE!) lady. FATE.

If you follow my blog, then you know I am a big believer in fate. I can FEEL it now. Something horrible had just happened and I said, "This has happened for a reason. I just can't see it yet." I see it now. This is where we will move to. It is fated and we are thrilled.

A new adventure awaits.

My advice about finding the right assisted living home? Visit as many as you can. Don't call ahead, surprise them. (Calling to get info is OK, but jump in when you want to visit.)

Make a list of your needs and wants. Figure out how much you can afford. Make a deal, don't settle for their first quote. At end of month the marketing staff want their commissions, so go closer to months end. Don't hesitate to ask for grab bars where there are none, a wood floor, new carpet---yes, much like buying a new car.

Most importantly: GET IT IN WRITING

Stumble Upon Toolbar
climbingdownhill said...

Okay, I have begun the exhausting and strange process of searching for a new assisted living home.

Where I live now, with my partner, was a rush move of sorts. Although I had been living just fine, working, with MS for 15 years, I wanted to plan for the "just in case." I had visited almost all of the assisted living homes in my city of Seattle and the surrounding area where my in-laws (out laws? will they become true in-laws soon?) spent a few years in such facilities until their deaths. The place I now reside at was at the top of my list---it had a family feel to it and the price was right.

In one of the worst snow storms Seattle had ever seen, I found myself in a local hospital's ICU (intensive care unit) for FIVE days/nights, my heart stopped and restarted TWICE by the staff there, tests every day and they never found out what was wrong with me. (If you want to read more I posted about it earlier in this blog...my symptoms were fast heart beat, vomiting. I think I just got dehydrated.) After I was released home, I was so weak from my MS, partner also was becoming very ill, we were moved in here thanks to the then Mgr, and now it is FIVE years later. This place has changed tremendously in the last 6 months. It is time to go.

First I sent my partner to check out a joint on my radar with a couple of our friends. It got rave reviews. I went the other day.

The receptionist did not know what direction the building faced. The person sent to show apts. to me didn't know either, nor did she know what direction ANY of the apts. faced that she showed me! That ignorance would have sent me back out the door, except a staff member I ran into told me "heads up, she is new." That staff member and I accidentally bumped into each other. We talked for close to an hour before I met with the lost-in-space (she DID actually get lost in the building TWICE!) lady. FATE.

If you follow my blog, then you know I am a big believer in fate. I can FEEL it now. Something horrible had just happened and I said, "This has happened for a reason. I just can't see it yet." I see it now. This is where we will move to. It is fated and we are thrilled.

A new adventure awaits.

My advice about finding the right assisted living home? Visit as many as you can. Don't call ahead, surprise them. (Calling to get info is OK, but jump in when you want to visit.)

Make a list of your needs and wants. Figure out how much you can afford. Make a deal, don't settle for their first quote. At end of month the marketing staff want their commissions, so go closer to months end. Don't hesitate to ask for grab bars where there are none, a wood floor, new carpet---yes, much like buying a new car.

Most importantly: GET IT IN WRITING

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Muffie said...

Okay, I have begun the exhausting and strange process of searching for a new assisted living home.

Where I live now, with my partner, was a rush move of sorts. Although I had been living just fine, working, with MS for 15 years, I wanted to plan for the "just in case." I had visited almost all of the assisted living homes in my city of Seattle and the surrounding area where my in-laws (out laws? will they become true in-laws soon?) spent a few years in such facilities until their deaths. The place I now reside at was at the top of my list---it had a family feel to it and the price was right.

In one of the worst snow storms Seattle had ever seen, I found myself in a local hospital's ICU (intensive care unit) for FIVE days/nights, my heart stopped and restarted TWICE by the staff there, tests every day and they never found out what was wrong with me. (If you want to read more I posted about it earlier in this blog...my symptoms were fast heart beat, vomiting. I think I just got dehydrated.) After I was released home, I was so weak from my MS, partner also was becoming very ill, we were moved in here thanks to the then Mgr, and now it is FIVE years later. This place has changed tremendously in the last 6 months. It is time to go.

First I sent my partner to check out a joint on my radar with a couple of our friends. It got rave reviews. I went the other day.

The receptionist did not know what direction the building faced. The person sent to show apts. to me didn't know either, nor did she know what direction ANY of the apts. faced that she showed me! That ignorance would have sent me back out the door, except a staff member I ran into told me "heads up, she is new." That staff member and I accidentally bumped into each other. We talked for close to an hour before I met with the lost-in-space (she DID actually get lost in the building TWICE!) lady. FATE.

If you follow my blog, then you know I am a big believer in fate. I can FEEL it now. Something horrible had just happened and I said, "This has happened for a reason. I just can't see it yet." I see it now. This is where we will move to. It is fated and we are thrilled.

A new adventure awaits.

My advice about finding the right assisted living home? Visit as many as you can. Don't call ahead, surprise them. (Calling to get info is OK, but jump in when you want to visit.)

Make a list of your needs and wants. Figure out how much you can afford. Make a deal, don't settle for their first quote. At end of month the marketing staff want their commissions, so go closer to months end. Don't hesitate to ask for grab bars where there are none, a wood floor, new carpet---yes, much like buying a new car.

Most importantly: GET IT IN WRITING

Stumble Upon Toolbar
 
Outpost