Thursday, January 9, 2014

TIPS TO LOSE WEIGHT FOREVER, HOW I DID IT

Seems dieting is top of news again. Now 'they' are looking into those who are "able to keep off the weight." (JUST NOW? I hear 'they' even keep a list! Well! SHUT MY MOUTH, nobody ever asked me.)

My childhood was spent as a fat kid. I took my share of teasing, could never find clothes that fit, was last picked for school games and flunked most gym classes. Aunt Violet, the master baker, over-fed myself and my brother. I willing ate, and I don't mean to blame her, but when I drove away from Ft. Wayne and Aunt Vi, I threw out (yes, littered) a box of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies she had insisted I take into my new life far, far, away. (Michigan.)

So began my new life of being a normal weight person and I never looked (fell) back. Over my 56 years I have watched many friends and co-workers attempt to lose weight "and keep it off." I kept my mouth shut as their enthusiasm was always so great...in the beginning. Never would I tell someone how to get un-fat. But, boy, did I want to.

Here is MY advice and as usual, if what YOU do/did works for you---fare thee well.

1. Lose the word "diet." What you want is a life of healthy food choices. If you don't know what healthy food is--EDUCATE YOURSELF.

2. Eat less. When I met my partner 34 years ago, I couldn't get over how she ALWAYS left food on her plate. It was a foreign concept to me. Suddenly I realized I didn't HAVE to eat the whole cookie or every bite of pasta. (And the less pasta the better.) Smaller plates are an easy trick. In between meals, snacks should be pieces of fruit, vegetables, or cereal is my personal favorite.

3. Stop thinking about food so much. I immediately look away from TV and print ads for food. Years at my last job, day after day, I had to listen to my co-workers talk about their latest diet, what food they had eaten, where they were headed for lunch---it was constant. And, of course they were as over-weight after years than when they began their goals. I wanted to scream, SHUT UP ABOUT FOOD!
Bring your food to work, and only eat when you are hungry.

4. Drink more water. Our body will make you eat if you are not giving it enough water. This was also one of the major reasons I was a fat kid. My water came from food. I never used a public (including at school) toilet (get ready) my ENTIRE life until I lost the extra pounds. I know, I can barely believe it myself.

5. Move more. I'd say "exercise," but that is very overrated and can be horribly expensive. My aunt Vi never exercised a day in her 103 healthy years. She cleaned the house, her car, cooked, prepared food for others, did laundry/down stairs dozens of times per day. She also walked FAST, a fast mover.

6. Lastly, just accept that healthy eating and moving is what life should be, what your body was made for. Change your idea about life and shut out the noise---being fat is no fun.

(On a personal note: I jump started my new healthy living by running, then weight-lifting. I am disabled thanks to multiple sclerosis, but I still lift weights every morning. No matter how small (I once could only lift a PENCIL!), it all helps. Move what you can.)

GOOD LUCK and NEVER GIVE UP

2 comments:

Ms. CrankyPants said...

Seems dieting is top of news again. Now 'they' are looking into those who are "able to keep off the weight." (JUST NOW? I hear 'they' even keep a list! Well! SHUT MY MOUTH, nobody ever asked me.)

My childhood was spent as a fat kid. I took my share of teasing, could never find clothes that fit, was last picked for school games and flunked most gym classes. Aunt Violet, the master baker, over-fed myself and my brother. I willing ate, and I don't mean to blame her, but when I drove away from Ft. Wayne and Aunt Vi, I threw out (yes, littered) a box of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies she had insisted I take into my new life far, far, away. (Michigan.)

So began my new life of being a normal weight person and I never looked (fell) back. Over my 56 years I have watched many friends and co-workers attempt to lose weight "and keep it off." I kept my mouth shut as their enthusiasm was always so great...in the beginning. Never would I tell someone how to get un-fat. But, boy, did I want to.

Here is MY advice and as usual, if what YOU do/did works for you---fare thee well.

1. Lose the word "diet." What you want is a life of healthy food choices. If you don't know what healthy food is--EDUCATE YOURSELF.

2. Eat less. When I met my partner 34 years ago, I couldn't get over how she ALWAYS left food on her plate. It was a foreign concept to me. Suddenly I realized I didn't HAVE to eat the whole cookie or every bite of pasta. (And the less pasta the better.) Smaller plates are an easy trick. In between meals, snacks should be pieces of fruit, vegetables, or cereal is my personal favorite.

3. Stop thinking about food so much. I immediately look away from TV and print ads for food. Years at my last job, day after day, I had to listen to my co-workers talk about their latest diet, what food they had eaten, where they were headed for lunch---it was constant. And, of course they were as over-weight after years than when they began their goals. I wanted to scream, SHUT UP ABOUT FOOD!
Bring your food to work, and only eat when you are hungry.

4. Drink more water. Our body will make you eat if you are not giving it enough water. This was also one of the major reasons I was a fat kid. My water came from food. I never used a public (including at school) toilet (get ready) my ENTIRE life until I lost the extra pounds. I know, I can barely believe it myself.

5. Move more. I'd say "exercise," but that is very overrated and can be horribly expensive. My aunt Vi never exercised a day in her 103 healthy years. She cleaned the house, her car, cooked, prepared food for others, did laundry/down stairs dozens of times per day. She also walked FAST, a fast mover.

6. Lastly, just accept that healthy eating and moving is what life should be, what your body was made for. Change your idea about life and shut out the noise---being fat is no fun.

(On a personal note: I jump started my new healthy living by running, then weight-lifting. I am disabled thanks to multiple sclerosis, but I still lift weights every morning. No matter how small (I once could only lift a PENCIL!), it all helps. Move what you can.)

GOOD LUCK and NEVER GIVE UP

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Karen said...

Seems dieting is top of news again. Now 'they' are looking into those who are "able to keep off the weight." (JUST NOW? I hear 'they' even keep a list! Well! SHUT MY MOUTH, nobody ever asked me.)

My childhood was spent as a fat kid. I took my share of teasing, could never find clothes that fit, was last picked for school games and flunked most gym classes. Aunt Violet, the master baker, over-fed myself and my brother. I willing ate, and I don't mean to blame her, but when I drove away from Ft. Wayne and Aunt Vi, I threw out (yes, littered) a box of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies she had insisted I take into my new life far, far, away. (Michigan.)

So began my new life of being a normal weight person and I never looked (fell) back. Over my 56 years I have watched many friends and co-workers attempt to lose weight "and keep it off." I kept my mouth shut as their enthusiasm was always so great...in the beginning. Never would I tell someone how to get un-fat. But, boy, did I want to.

Here is MY advice and as usual, if what YOU do/did works for you---fare thee well.

1. Lose the word "diet." What you want is a life of healthy food choices. If you don't know what healthy food is--EDUCATE YOURSELF.

2. Eat less. When I met my partner 34 years ago, I couldn't get over how she ALWAYS left food on her plate. It was a foreign concept to me. Suddenly I realized I didn't HAVE to eat the whole cookie or every bite of pasta. (And the less pasta the better.) Smaller plates are an easy trick. In between meals, snacks should be pieces of fruit, vegetables, or cereal is my personal favorite.

3. Stop thinking about food so much. I immediately look away from TV and print ads for food. Years at my last job, day after day, I had to listen to my co-workers talk about their latest diet, what food they had eaten, where they were headed for lunch---it was constant. And, of course they were as over-weight after years than when they began their goals. I wanted to scream, SHUT UP ABOUT FOOD!
Bring your food to work, and only eat when you are hungry.

4. Drink more water. Our body will make you eat if you are not giving it enough water. This was also one of the major reasons I was a fat kid. My water came from food. I never used a public (including at school) toilet (get ready) my ENTIRE life until I lost the extra pounds. I know, I can barely believe it myself.

5. Move more. I'd say "exercise," but that is very overrated and can be horribly expensive. My aunt Vi never exercised a day in her 103 healthy years. She cleaned the house, her car, cooked, prepared food for others, did laundry/down stairs dozens of times per day. She also walked FAST, a fast mover.

6. Lastly, just accept that healthy eating and moving is what life should be, what your body was made for. Change your idea about life and shut out the noise---being fat is no fun.

(On a personal note: I jump started my new healthy living by running, then weight-lifting. I am disabled thanks to multiple sclerosis, but I still lift weights every morning. No matter how small (I once could only lift a PENCIL!), it all helps. Move what you can.)

GOOD LUCK and NEVER GIVE UP

Stumble Upon Toolbar
 
Outpost