Friday, March 7, 2014

Falls, Dalmations, Dam, MS, Truck, Fan, Basketball Knee

I was trying to count my falls yesterday, or I should say falls that had an impact of the big-stage variety on my life. Shocking.

The first was around 1959, Christmas Eve to be exact. There was the big party at my Great-Aunt Vi's house and my mom just HAD to go downstairs for her cigarettes. I hated it when she smoked. I begged her not to go. She went, and so did a relative's dog, tripping my mom in the process and so began my history with falls.

Mom dislocated her shoulder. An adult sat me up on the kitchen counter in full view of my fallen mom, crying in pain. She was taken to a hospital.

I had opened a gift of a snow globe and perched myself next to the large house's front window, watching for Mom to return and turning the snow globe over and over. I remember there was a small brown plastic deer inside...I kept turning and staring...until she came home.

A few years later Aunt Vi bought me a stuffed 101 Dalmations puppy, "Don't run with it," she said as I darted out of her car, so anxious to show it off. To this day I SWEAR I was not running, but I tripped on sidewalk, and forehead met cement. The adults were so upset. They put me up on an ironing board (wait for it) and ran a large kitchen knife blade over it. Never made sense to me, but in later years I learned it was the coolness of the flat blade that helped the swelling go down.

Around age 9 I fell on my knee, scrapping it on sidewalk (wait for it) (nope, that's it.)

Age 10 was epic head to curb fall off my bike when a pick-up hit me. Luckily, hospital was half a block away. I am CERTAIN that one triggered my multiple scelrosis. The year was 1967. I was diagnosed with MS in 1990, after having symptoms for 23 years.

Age 11 my mom wanted to see some Indiana dam, I wanted to stop at a park to eat our picnic lunch first, so I stayed in a huff in our car. On Mom's walk back, she tripped, dislocating her shoulder AGAIN. We were in the middle of nowhere, luckily a ranger station was nearby and ranger drove us to hospital. Mom made an ambulance drive us all the way home because she was afraid of leaving her 11 year old little girl alone in a strange town. I saw her fall, but pretended I didn't---that bad behavior haunts me.

Age 47 I was up early to prepare for my visit to a disability exam in downtown Seattle. It was about 6AM, I turned to place breakfast on kitchen counter and right knee gave out---my first multiple sclerosis fall. (But, actually I blame an undiagnosed damaged knee from a twist during a basketball game in 1990.  It would remain undiagnosed until 2012. "It's just MS." ( DON'T EVER ACCEPT THAT WITHOUT QUESTION.)

Four falls (each time knee gave out) would follow, each attached to a call to 9-1-1.

Somehow I have not yet broken any bones---OH! I just remembered a fall! I was stationed as a security guard at a PBX switchboard in the main entrance to Bethlehem Steel in Seattle, about 1985. My headset on, I leaned back an the entire chair broke in two. My body flew off backwards onto floor, glasses went flying, pants tore apart. I had the ugliest but most multi-colored butt bruise you'd never want too see.

When I fall, I tend to go straight own. When my partner falls, she flies.

Once she tripped (flew) out of our studio apartment in 1982. There were many seizure and endometriosis pain induced falls over the years. In 2002, she tripped over a fan cooling our den, hit the wall and broke her wrist. Luckily, she had an arm-load of laundry so her landing otherwise was soft.

So, I suppose the fall that caused my MS was most devastating, but that first one...I remember turning the snow globe over and over and over.

3 comments:

climbingdownhill said...

I was trying to count my falls yesterday, or I should say falls that had an impact of the big-stage variety on my life. Shocking.

The first was around 1959, Christmas Eve to be exact. There was the big party at my Great-Aunt Vi's house and my mom just HAD to go downstairs for her cigarettes. I hated it when she smoked. I begged her not to go. She went, and so did a relative's dog, tripping my mom in the process and so began my history with falls.

Mom dislocated her shoulder. An adult sat me up on the kitchen counter in full view of my fallen mom, crying in pain. She was taken to a hospital.

I had opened a gift of a snow globe and perched myself next to the large house's front window, watching for Mom to return and turning the snow globe over and over. I remember there was a small brown plastic deer inside...I kept turning and staring...until she came home.

A few years later Aunt Vi bought me a stuffed 101 Dalmations puppy, "Don't run with it," she said as I darted out of her car, so anxious to show it off. To this day I SWEAR I was not running, but I tripped on sidewalk, and forehead met cement. The adults were so upset. They put me up on an ironing board (wait for it) and ran a large kitchen knife blade over it. Never made sense to me, but in later years I learned it was the coolness of the flat blade that helped the swelling go down.

Around age 9 I fell on my knee, scrapping it on sidewalk (wait for it) (nope, that's it.)

Age 10 was epic head to curb fall off my bike when a pick-up hit me. Luckily, hospital was half a block away. I am CERTAIN that one triggered my multiple scelrosis. The year was 1967. I was diagnosed with MS in 1990, after having symptoms for 23 years.

Age 11 my mom wanted to see some Indiana dam, I wanted to stop at a park to eat our picnic lunch first, so I stayed in a huff in our car. On Mom's walk back, she tripped, dislocating her shoulder AGAIN. We were in the middle of nowhere, luckily a ranger station was nearby and ranger drove us to hospital. Mom made an ambulance drive us all the way home because she was afraid of leaving her 11 year old little girl alone in a strange town. I saw her fall, but pretended I didn't---that bad behavior haunts me.

Age 47 I was up early to prepare for my visit to a disability exam in downtown Seattle. It was about 6AM, I turned to place breakfast on kitchen counter and right knee gave out---my first multiple sclerosis fall. (But, actually I blame an undiagnosed damaged knee from a twist during a basketball game in 1990.  It would remain undiagnosed until 2012. "It's just MS." ( DON'T EVER ACCEPT THAT WITHOUT QUESTION.)

Four falls (each time knee gave out) would follow, each attached to a call to 9-1-1.

Somehow I have not yet broken any bones---OH! I just remembered a fall! I was stationed as a security guard at a PBX switchboard in the main entrance to Bethlehem Steel in Seattle, about 1985. My headset on, I leaned back an the entire chair broke in two. My body flew off backwards onto floor, glasses went flying, pants tore apart. I had the ugliest but most multi-colored butt bruise you'd never want too see.

When I fall, I tend to go straight own. When my partner falls, she flies.

Once she tripped (flew) out of our studio apartment in 1982. There were many seizure and endometriosis pain induced falls over the years. In 2002, she tripped over a fan cooling our den, hit the wall and broke her wrist. Luckily, she had an arm-load of laundry so her landing otherwise was soft.

So, I suppose the fall that caused my MS was most devastating, but that first one...I remember turning the snow globe over and over and over.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Muffie said...

I was trying to count my falls yesterday, or I should say falls that had an impact of the big-stage variety on my life. Shocking.

The first was around 1959, Christmas Eve to be exact. There was the big party at my Great-Aunt Vi's house and my mom just HAD to go downstairs for her cigarettes. I hated it when she smoked. I begged her not to go. She went, and so did a relative's dog, tripping my mom in the process and so began my history with falls.

Mom dislocated her shoulder. An adult sat me up on the kitchen counter in full view of my fallen mom, crying in pain. She was taken to a hospital.

I had opened a gift of a snow globe and perched myself next to the large house's front window, watching for Mom to return and turning the snow globe over and over. I remember there was a small brown plastic deer inside...I kept turning and staring...until she came home.

A few years later Aunt Vi bought me a stuffed 101 Dalmations puppy, "Don't run with it," she said as I darted out of her car, so anxious to show it off. To this day I SWEAR I was not running, but I tripped on sidewalk, and forehead met cement. The adults were so upset. They put me up on an ironing board (wait for it) and ran a large kitchen knife blade over it. Never made sense to me, but in later years I learned it was the coolness of the flat blade that helped the swelling go down.

Around age 9 I fell on my knee, scrapping it on sidewalk (wait for it) (nope, that's it.)

Age 10 was epic head to curb fall off my bike when a pick-up hit me. Luckily, hospital was half a block away. I am CERTAIN that one triggered my multiple scelrosis. The year was 1967. I was diagnosed with MS in 1990, after having symptoms for 23 years.

Age 11 my mom wanted to see some Indiana dam, I wanted to stop at a park to eat our picnic lunch first, so I stayed in a huff in our car. On Mom's walk back, she tripped, dislocating her shoulder AGAIN. We were in the middle of nowhere, luckily a ranger station was nearby and ranger drove us to hospital. Mom made an ambulance drive us all the way home because she was afraid of leaving her 11 year old little girl alone in a strange town. I saw her fall, but pretended I didn't---that bad behavior haunts me.

Age 47 I was up early to prepare for my visit to a disability exam in downtown Seattle. It was about 6AM, I turned to place breakfast on kitchen counter and right knee gave out---my first multiple sclerosis fall. (But, actually I blame an undiagnosed damaged knee from a twist during a basketball game in 1990.  It would remain undiagnosed until 2012. "It's just MS." ( DON'T EVER ACCEPT THAT WITHOUT QUESTION.)

Four falls (each time knee gave out) would follow, each attached to a call to 9-1-1.

Somehow I have not yet broken any bones---OH! I just remembered a fall! I was stationed as a security guard at a PBX switchboard in the main entrance to Bethlehem Steel in Seattle, about 1985. My headset on, I leaned back an the entire chair broke in two. My body flew off backwards onto floor, glasses went flying, pants tore apart. I had the ugliest but most multi-colored butt bruise you'd never want too see.

When I fall, I tend to go straight own. When my partner falls, she flies.

Once she tripped (flew) out of our studio apartment in 1982. There were many seizure and endometriosis pain induced falls over the years. In 2002, she tripped over a fan cooling our den, hit the wall and broke her wrist. Luckily, she had an arm-load of laundry so her landing otherwise was soft.

So, I suppose the fall that caused my MS was most devastating, but that first one...I remember turning the snow globe over and over and over.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Diane J Standiford said...

I was trying to count my falls yesterday, or I should say falls that had an impact of the big-stage variety on my life. Shocking.

The first was around 1959, Christmas Eve to be exact. There was the big party at my Great-Aunt Vi's house and my mom just HAD to go downstairs for her cigarettes. I hated it when she smoked. I begged her not to go. She went, and so did a relative's dog, tripping my mom in the process and so began my history with falls.

Mom dislocated her shoulder. An adult sat me up on the kitchen counter in full view of my fallen mom, crying in pain. She was taken to a hospital.

I had opened a gift of a snow globe and perched myself next to the large house's front window, watching for Mom to return and turning the snow globe over and over. I remember there was a small brown plastic deer inside...I kept turning and staring...until she came home.

A few years later Aunt Vi bought me a stuffed 101 Dalmations puppy, "Don't run with it," she said as I darted out of her car, so anxious to show it off. To this day I SWEAR I was not running, but I tripped on sidewalk, and forehead met cement. The adults were so upset. They put me up on an ironing board (wait for it) and ran a large kitchen knife blade over it. Never made sense to me, but in later years I learned it was the coolness of the flat blade that helped the swelling go down.

Around age 9 I fell on my knee, scrapping it on sidewalk (wait for it) (nope, that's it.)

Age 10 was epic head to curb fall off my bike when a pick-up hit me. Luckily, hospital was half a block away. I am CERTAIN that one triggered my multiple scelrosis. The year was 1967. I was diagnosed with MS in 1990, after having symptoms for 23 years.

Age 11 my mom wanted to see some Indiana dam, I wanted to stop at a park to eat our picnic lunch first, so I stayed in a huff in our car. On Mom's walk back, she tripped, dislocating her shoulder AGAIN. We were in the middle of nowhere, luckily a ranger station was nearby and ranger drove us to hospital. Mom made an ambulance drive us all the way home because she was afraid of leaving her 11 year old little girl alone in a strange town. I saw her fall, but pretended I didn't---that bad behavior haunts me.

Age 47 I was up early to prepare for my visit to a disability exam in downtown Seattle. It was about 6AM, I turned to place breakfast on kitchen counter and right knee gave out---my first multiple sclerosis fall. (But, actually I blame an undiagnosed damaged knee from a twist during a basketball game in 1990.  It would remain undiagnosed until 2012. "It's just MS." ( DON'T EVER ACCEPT THAT WITHOUT QUESTION.)

Four falls (each time knee gave out) would follow, each attached to a call to 9-1-1.

Somehow I have not yet broken any bones---OH! I just remembered a fall! I was stationed as a security guard at a PBX switchboard in the main entrance to Bethlehem Steel in Seattle, about 1985. My headset on, I leaned back an the entire chair broke in two. My body flew off backwards onto floor, glasses went flying, pants tore apart. I had the ugliest but most multi-colored butt bruise you'd never want too see.

When I fall, I tend to go straight own. When my partner falls, she flies.

Once she tripped (flew) out of our studio apartment in 1982. There were many seizure and endometriosis pain induced falls over the years. In 2002, she tripped over a fan cooling our den, hit the wall and broke her wrist. Luckily, she had an arm-load of laundry so her landing otherwise was soft.

So, I suppose the fall that caused my MS was most devastating, but that first one...I remember turning the snow globe over and over and over.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
 
Outpost