Sunday, March 30, 2014

MIXING MS WITH OTHER DISEASES MAKES BAD COCKTAIL

My SPMS (secondary progressive MS) was going along pretty fine until the last 12 months.

First I was DX with Bell's Palsy on my 'good side'--my right side. It really stopped my walking accomplishments pronto. I had been on a roll, making it across my living room floor. My standing time was increasing by the week! Then BOOM.

After the Bell's Palsy, I caught a bad cold, then (and who didn't see this coming, what with my T-cells working overtime!?) I had a MS relapse attack---my first in a decade, or longer, I honestly lost track.

My right side started going all numb, my right hand was not interested in functioning at all. It was hard to eat or drink since the nerve connections were so confused by now. Good Golly Miss Molly!

Things have settled down, a 3-day dose of Solumedrol calmed the inflammation down, but all those months I had to have caregivers help me move, stand, until now my muscles are DYING to start back and go all atrophy on me! DRAT!

Each day I am starting over again, back to working what I can. My plan still is a solid one and I see now that it needs to be constantly practiced, I guess for the rest of my life. And why not? It is not a bad way to live---keep using what works and build around weak or compromised body functions.

It all goes back to babies, crawl until you can hold onto something and stand, then start walking, fall, get back up, rinse, repeat. Life.

After 5 years post MS diagnosis (DX), I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer---two surgeries later, started over again after laying in bed for weeks. It is always nice knowing you can work to improve SOMETHING. Whether it is eating healthier, visiting with friends, petting your dog, SOMETHING can be done to improve your body and mind.

But, mixing other illnesses with MS is a real Putin buster. Sometimes starting from scratch is not the worst thing. I have added peanuts to my diet and met new friends on Face Book.

CHEERS!


3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

My SPMS (secondary progressive MS) was going along pretty fine until the last 12 months.

First I was DX with Bell's Palsy on my 'good side'--my right side. It really stopped my walking accomplishments pronto. I had been on a roll, making it across my living room floor. My standing time was increasing by the week! Then BOOM.

After the Bell's Palsy, I caught a bad cold, then (and who didn't see this coming, what with my T-cells working overtime!?) I had a MS relapse attack---my first in a decade, or longer, I honestly lost track.

My right side started going all numb, my right hand was not interested in functioning at all. It was hard to eat or drink since the nerve connections were so confused by now. Good Golly Miss Molly!

Things have settled down, a 3-day dose of Solumedrol calmed the inflammation down, but all those months I had to have caregivers help me move, stand, until now my muscles are DYING to start back and go all atrophy on me! DRAT!

Each day I am starting over again, back to working what I can. My plan still is a solid one and I see now that it needs to be constantly practiced, I guess for the rest of my life. And why not? It is not a bad way to live---keep using what works and build around weak or compromised body functions.

It all goes back to babies, crawl until you can hold onto something and stand, then start walking, fall, get back up, rinse, repeat. Life.

After 5 years post MS diagnosis (DX), I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer---two surgeries later, started over again after laying in bed for weeks. It is always nice knowing you can work to improve SOMETHING. Whether it is eating healthier, visiting with friends, petting your dog, SOMETHING can be done to improve your body and mind.

But, mixing other illnesses with MS is a real Putin buster. Sometimes starting from scratch is not the worst thing. I have added peanuts to my diet and met new friends on Face Book.

CHEERS!


Stumble Upon Toolbar
Judy at Peace Be With You said...

My SPMS (secondary progressive MS) was going along pretty fine until the last 12 months.

First I was DX with Bell's Palsy on my 'good side'--my right side. It really stopped my walking accomplishments pronto. I had been on a roll, making it across my living room floor. My standing time was increasing by the week! Then BOOM.

After the Bell's Palsy, I caught a bad cold, then (and who didn't see this coming, what with my T-cells working overtime!?) I had a MS relapse attack---my first in a decade, or longer, I honestly lost track.

My right side started going all numb, my right hand was not interested in functioning at all. It was hard to eat or drink since the nerve connections were so confused by now. Good Golly Miss Molly!

Things have settled down, a 3-day dose of Solumedrol calmed the inflammation down, but all those months I had to have caregivers help me move, stand, until now my muscles are DYING to start back and go all atrophy on me! DRAT!

Each day I am starting over again, back to working what I can. My plan still is a solid one and I see now that it needs to be constantly practiced, I guess for the rest of my life. And why not? It is not a bad way to live---keep using what works and build around weak or compromised body functions.

It all goes back to babies, crawl until you can hold onto something and stand, then start walking, fall, get back up, rinse, repeat. Life.

After 5 years post MS diagnosis (DX), I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer---two surgeries later, started over again after laying in bed for weeks. It is always nice knowing you can work to improve SOMETHING. Whether it is eating healthier, visiting with friends, petting your dog, SOMETHING can be done to improve your body and mind.

But, mixing other illnesses with MS is a real Putin buster. Sometimes starting from scratch is not the worst thing. I have added peanuts to my diet and met new friends on Face Book.

CHEERS!


Stumble Upon Toolbar
Diane J Standiford said...

My SPMS (secondary progressive MS) was going along pretty fine until the last 12 months.

First I was DX with Bell's Palsy on my 'good side'--my right side. It really stopped my walking accomplishments pronto. I had been on a roll, making it across my living room floor. My standing time was increasing by the week! Then BOOM.

After the Bell's Palsy, I caught a bad cold, then (and who didn't see this coming, what with my T-cells working overtime!?) I had a MS relapse attack---my first in a decade, or longer, I honestly lost track.

My right side started going all numb, my right hand was not interested in functioning at all. It was hard to eat or drink since the nerve connections were so confused by now. Good Golly Miss Molly!

Things have settled down, a 3-day dose of Solumedrol calmed the inflammation down, but all those months I had to have caregivers help me move, stand, until now my muscles are DYING to start back and go all atrophy on me! DRAT!

Each day I am starting over again, back to working what I can. My plan still is a solid one and I see now that it needs to be constantly practiced, I guess for the rest of my life. And why not? It is not a bad way to live---keep using what works and build around weak or compromised body functions.

It all goes back to babies, crawl until you can hold onto something and stand, then start walking, fall, get back up, rinse, repeat. Life.

After 5 years post MS diagnosis (DX), I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer---two surgeries later, started over again after laying in bed for weeks. It is always nice knowing you can work to improve SOMETHING. Whether it is eating healthier, visiting with friends, petting your dog, SOMETHING can be done to improve your body and mind.

But, mixing other illnesses with MS is a real Putin buster. Sometimes starting from scratch is not the worst thing. I have added peanuts to my diet and met new friends on Face Book.

CHEERS!


Stumble Upon Toolbar
 
Outpost