Sunday, March 16, 2014

No Booze for Residents with MS?

One of the new assisted living homes I am looking at requires a form for their care employees. It asks basically if I have any dementia, food requirements, and so on. It is the kind of form I have been given where I currently reside (over 5 years now!) but I just toss them away. (You would too if you were me and lived HERE, but that is another story.)

Instead, I took the form to my MS doctor and she looked up at me while completing it, "You should not drink alcohol."

"What?" I noticed a question about whether or not I could drink. Now, I never have had more than one glass of white wine at "Salty's on Alki" during an anniversary dinner over-looking Elliot Bay. This fact turns normal faces into shrines of unbelievability.

"People with MS shouldn't drink." (My brain shouted, THANKS FOR TELLING ME AFTER 24 YEARS)

Laughing, I said, "It's funny because I don't drink and have never smoked pot," she interrupted--
"ME EITHER!" We laughed as I continued, "But Happy Hour is a big deal at these retirement home places." (Can you HEAR me, Doc? I will be ostracized if I am unable to imbibe AND now the carers will see your form answer as, "Watch out, she drinks.")

Now that I have been told I shouldn't drink---I want to drink. Since childhood, that is how I roll.

Must Google a good beverage. Happy Hour is at four.

3 comments:

Webster said...

One of the new assisted living homes I am looking at requires a form for their care employees. It asks basically if I have any dementia, food requirements, and so on. It is the kind of form I have been given where I currently reside (over 5 years now!) but I just toss them away. (You would too if you were me and lived HERE, but that is another story.)

Instead, I took the form to my MS doctor and she looked up at me while completing it, "You should not drink alcohol."

"What?" I noticed a question about whether or not I could drink. Now, I never have had more than one glass of white wine at "Salty's on Alki" during an anniversary dinner over-looking Elliot Bay. This fact turns normal faces into shrines of unbelievability.

"People with MS shouldn't drink." (My brain shouted, THANKS FOR TELLING ME AFTER 24 YEARS)

Laughing, I said, "It's funny because I don't drink and have never smoked pot," she interrupted--
"ME EITHER!" We laughed as I continued, "But Happy Hour is a big deal at these retirement home places." (Can you HEAR me, Doc? I will be ostracized if I am unable to imbibe AND now the carers will see your form answer as, "Watch out, she drinks.")

Now that I have been told I shouldn't drink---I want to drink. Since childhood, that is how I roll.

Must Google a good beverage. Happy Hour is at four.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Muffie said...

One of the new assisted living homes I am looking at requires a form for their care employees. It asks basically if I have any dementia, food requirements, and so on. It is the kind of form I have been given where I currently reside (over 5 years now!) but I just toss them away. (You would too if you were me and lived HERE, but that is another story.)

Instead, I took the form to my MS doctor and she looked up at me while completing it, "You should not drink alcohol."

"What?" I noticed a question about whether or not I could drink. Now, I never have had more than one glass of white wine at "Salty's on Alki" during an anniversary dinner over-looking Elliot Bay. This fact turns normal faces into shrines of unbelievability.

"People with MS shouldn't drink." (My brain shouted, THANKS FOR TELLING ME AFTER 24 YEARS)

Laughing, I said, "It's funny because I don't drink and have never smoked pot," she interrupted--
"ME EITHER!" We laughed as I continued, "But Happy Hour is a big deal at these retirement home places." (Can you HEAR me, Doc? I will be ostracized if I am unable to imbibe AND now the carers will see your form answer as, "Watch out, she drinks.")

Now that I have been told I shouldn't drink---I want to drink. Since childhood, that is how I roll.

Must Google a good beverage. Happy Hour is at four.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Diane J Standiford said...

One of the new assisted living homes I am looking at requires a form for their care employees. It asks basically if I have any dementia, food requirements, and so on. It is the kind of form I have been given where I currently reside (over 5 years now!) but I just toss them away. (You would too if you were me and lived HERE, but that is another story.)

Instead, I took the form to my MS doctor and she looked up at me while completing it, "You should not drink alcohol."

"What?" I noticed a question about whether or not I could drink. Now, I never have had more than one glass of white wine at "Salty's on Alki" during an anniversary dinner over-looking Elliot Bay. This fact turns normal faces into shrines of unbelievability.

"People with MS shouldn't drink." (My brain shouted, THANKS FOR TELLING ME AFTER 24 YEARS)

Laughing, I said, "It's funny because I don't drink and have never smoked pot," she interrupted--
"ME EITHER!" We laughed as I continued, "But Happy Hour is a big deal at these retirement home places." (Can you HEAR me, Doc? I will be ostracized if I am unable to imbibe AND now the carers will see your form answer as, "Watch out, she drinks.")

Now that I have been told I shouldn't drink---I want to drink. Since childhood, that is how I roll.

Must Google a good beverage. Happy Hour is at four.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
 
Outpost